We receive a lot of lovely feedback from customers about our products, but some of the most enthusiastic comments are for our Face Cleansing Powder, which has a particularly devoted following. For example,
“This is the best cleanser I have every used – everything else, even the organic ones, makes my skin red and itchy. My skin has never looked better.”
“It is the best cleanser that I have ever used, and the only one that has been able to remove the tiny blackheads on and around my nose. It also leaves my skin very receptive to hydration”.
Why is our Face Cleansing Powder is so effective?
We believe the wonderful results that come from using our Face Cleansing Powder are down to two main differences from traditional water-based cleansers.
Firstly, because water is added to the powder just before it is used, the ingredients become fully active on your skin. The enzymes, vitamins, anti-oxidants and other phytonutrients lie dormant until they are activated with water, and do their work whilst in contact with your skin. In contrast, water-based cleansers rely on synthetic detergents to clean the skin, and any additional bio-active ingredients begin degrading as soon as they are bottled. By the time they reach your skin, much of their bioactivity has been lost.
Secondly, each ingredient in our Face Cleansing Powder has been selected for its unique benefits to the skin. In contrast, water-based cleansers require a range of synthetic ingredients – preservatives, emulsifiers and thickeners – to keep them stable and give the product a shelf life. These ingredients are added solely to provide product stability, with no benefits to the skin.
Oatmeal and skin
Our Face Cleansing Powder contains a range of carefully selected ingredients, in quantities that are designed to deliver a potent supply of anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatories, vitamins, enzymes and other phytonutrients. We’d like to talk a little more in-depth about oatmeal, a key ingredient in our Face Cleansing Powder.
It is now well known that oatmeal has considerable health benefits whether consumed or applied externally. Despite its relatively humble history in the west, it has been valued since ancient times for its medicinal properties, most notably in the treatment of skin conditions. Oatmeal baths, in particular, have been used for centuries as a remedy for inflamed, irritated skin. We now have a clearer understanding of why oatmeal has these healing properties. What the ancients may not have known is that in addition to its healing effects, oatmeal has significant skin rejuvenating properties.
The key active constituents that are considered responsible for oatmeal’s beneficial effects in the skin are:
- The avenanthramides. These are potent polyphenolic antioxidants, which are the component within oatmeal thought to be responsible for relieving inflammation, redness and itching. In addition, they have been shown to protect the skin from the DNA-damaging effects of UV radiation. Interestingly the avenanthramides have been shown to achieve their effects even at very low concentrations.
- Beta-glucan. A polysaccharide (long chain sugar) which both forms a protective film over the skin and penetrates into the epidermis where it promotes hydration. It has also been shown to stimulate fibroblast activity and collagen production, and in clinical studies has been shown to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, increase skin firmness and improve skin elasticity.
- Oatmeal also has significant levels of the enzyme superoxide dismutase, an antioxidant that protects against free radical damage and can reduce the signs of ageing.
- Natural saponins give oatmeal a gentle cleansing activity – no need for those harsh synthetic detergents when using oatmeal!
- Oatmeal acts as a buffering agent that can help skin maintain an optimal pH.
We love the fact that oatmeal soothes, hydrates, promotes collagen formation, cleanses naturally, protects the skin from UV and other oxidative damage, and helps maintain the correct pH of the skin. In our Face Cleansing Powder oatmeal also contributes to the gentle physical exfoliation achieved with this product, keeping the skin free of superficial debris and promoting normal cell turnover. No wonder people love what this product does for their skin!
The traditional oatmeal bath
Oatmeal baths have traditionally been used to help soothe the inflamed skin of eczema, allergies and even chicken pox. However, you don’t need to have inflamed skin to enjoy the benefits of an oatmeal bath – it’s a lovely way to treat yourself on these cool winter evenings!
Take 1 cup of rolled oats or oatmeal and blend to a fine powder. Place the oatmeal in a muslin bag or on a piece of muslin cloth and tie it closed. Run a hot bath and immerse the muslin-wrapped oatmeal in the water, swirling it to help release its goodness. Step into the bath when the water has cooled a little and soak for around 10-15 minutes. Towel dry and apply one of our nourishing moisturisers immediately after. Happy skin!
Oatmeal is just the beginning of the story about Face Cleansing Powder. Soon we’ll be writing about the other wonderful ingredients in this product, and how they work together to bring you beautiful skin.